UAE condemns Orlando attack
14-6-2016/ The UAE has condemned the shooting in Orlando, Florida, in which a gunmen killed 50 people and injured 53 at a nightclub early on Sunday morning.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation announced its solidarity with the United States, condemning terrorism and extending condolences to the US government, people and families of the victims.
The ministry also reiterated its stance on the need for countries to work together to eliminate terrorism, reported Wam, the state news agency.
Yousef Al Otaiba, UAE Ambassador to the US, also condemned the attack – the deadliest in US history – in a statement released on the website of the UAE Embassy in Washington DC.
“We condemn the hate and fanaticism behind this unspeakable violence. We must all work together to promote tolerance and peace," the statement read.
Mr Al Otaiba also extended his condolences to those affected by the mass shooting.
“On behalf of the leadership and people of the UAE, our deepest sympathies go out to the families and friends of the victims of yesterday’s heinous attack in Orlando," he said.
The three-hour siege ended after Swat officers stormed the club and killed the assailant in a gunfight.
He was identified as Omar Mateen, 29, a US citizen of Afghan descent, who had been working as a security officer for a global security company since 2007.
Mateen lived in Port St Lucie, Florida, about a two-hour drive from Orlando.
US media quoted law enforcement sources as saying that Mateen called 911 before the attack and swore allegiance to ISIL. However, the suspect’s father told NBC News that his son may have been motivated by homophobia, not by his religion.